Disclaimer: The episode on Creating Pull Requests got lost so Episode 6 ended up being our Build vs Buy episode.
Upcoming Conferences Of Note
Other Tips for giving a nice PR review
Remember the person on the other end of your review is a human. As devs it’s easy to mix our identity with the code we write and any criticism of that code can be challenging to absorb.
- Respond quickly if you are a reviewer
- This can be especially challenging when dealing with major differences in timezone
- Does this code belong somewhere else?
- Is this code tested?
- Do I understand this code?
- PRs can be a way to do knowledge transfer to other folks on the team
- Are there any glaring security concerns?
- Should someone else also review this change?
- What might go wrong when this is deployed?
- Is there observability in place?
- Is there a large migration that needs special treatment?
- Other things:
- I try to group all of my replies into one big response rather than lots of individual comments, that way the