In this episode we dig into the HackerRank annual survey that was released a few months ago for 2023 including the top in demand skills from employers in this uncertain tech and economic environment.
Note from Colin & CJ: This episode was recorded in November 2022. It is amazing how much changes in a few months.
Languages By Volume of HackerRanks
Methodology for languages
- To estimate employer demand for specific programming languages, we looked at HackerRank Work tests where a specific programming language was required, or where specific library questions were asked. Skill demand was estimated by the number of HackerRank Work tests using specific library questions.
- On the preference – or supply–side, we tracked submitted languages by candidates when they have multiple options available, as well as their proficiency in those languages. We also included HankerRank Community practice data to get a full spectrum of skill preferences.
- Notable these results are not survey results like the Stack Overflow survey
- Demand for most languages growing, but not equally
- Is there potential bias in the types of companies that use HackerRank?
- Companies that are more likely to use Java for example
Top 5 Skills in demand
- Problem Solving
- Machine Learning
- REST APIs
- REST API shows sustained drama-free demand growth 😂
- Keep an eye on Go and TypeScript
- Tech hiring (and everything else) hit headwinds in 2022
- Overall, the tech industry continues to growing
Other Links Mentioned
Build and Learn around the web