In this episode, Colin and CJ discuss using the new GPT tools for work and play.
- Open AI
- Large language models
- Generative AI
- How do we use it, and is it going to be doom & gloom?
How We Use It
- Brainstorming & riffing on ideas
- I was building something in React and hadn’t touched React in a few years. I had all this iteration going on in my components to generate dynamic content. Still, I wanted the topmost component to be able to have references to all these components to download them all as images in a zip file.
- Assistance with math-based things like animation or rendering graphics
- Example: I had to display a bunch of circles in a 2nd plane in a random pattern
- Computers are pretty good at that
- Learning how to do something new faster
- Explain this to me like I’m 5
- We use Descript for editing this podcast
- Shifting the tone of writing, building a writing style
- Writing video scripts
- Finding obscure information
- Story arcs
- Brushes to write tailwind classes
- DnD character sheets
- Bing to find esoteric star wars character that’s buried on Wookiepedia
Doom and gloom or boon?
- What does this mean for the future?
- Privacy & security concerns
- Voice clones and scams (create a safe word!)
- Productivity + time
- Are we just going to be expected to be more productive with more output because cApItaLIsM
- Constitutional AI (Anthropic)
ChatGPT coauthored a PR to a major open-source project
- via Ruby Weekly: How long is it until ChatGPT makes a pull request to Rails? Oh, it (sort of) just happened. Ultimately it's still under the name of Rails core team member Guillermo Iguaran, however.
Everything in this pull request, including the code, tests, changelog, commit message, pull request title and description has been created by ChatGPT with some guidance. If you believe ChatGPT is infringing your copyright please let me know.
People to follow
(Written by Notion AI)
Here are 5 social media influencers to follow to stay up to date about AI:
- Rachel Woods (@the.rachel.woods on TikTok, @rachel_l_woods on Twitter)
- Logan.GPT (dev advocate for OpenAI)
- Swyx (shares a lot of thoughts on AI)
- Lex Fridman (MIT researcher and AI podcaster)
- Siraj Raval (AI educator and YouTuber)
- Copilot X for VS Code & VS Extension
- Copilot Docs
- Copilot CLI
- Copilot Voice
- Copilot for PRs